“Life for both sexes—and I look at them, shouldering their way along the pavement—is arduous, difficult, a perpetual struggle. It calls for gigantic courage and strength. More than anything, perhaps, creatures of illusion that we are, it calls for confidence in oneself”
Virginia Woolf identifies with men in their “quest for confidence”, and she speaks of the importance of confidence in creating art (Sparknotes.com). Because women lacked confidence in her time, they didn’t provide equal the talent as the men. However, women are courageous and continue to write during that time. Therefore women are portrayed as brave, strong, and noble.
Women have always been and will forever be valiant. Equality among all as intelligent human beings is a must for society to flourish and I am very proud to be a woman and know so many outstanding women. As I sat in classes over the past college years and have experienced intelligent conversations with the best of them, it has never passed me that intelligence is equally distributed between the sexes. It was ignorance and arrogance that blinded humanity, even in Woolf’s time. I am very appreciative of the courage that women, throughout all decades, have sustained to accomplish so many wonders…against all odds.

No comments:
Post a Comment